Press Releases
Related Topics
Press Releases
For speech, please click here.
For photos, please click here.

Act Now – Solution is Waiting Round the Bend
Empathy and Engagement are keys to resolving inequality

(Shantou and Hong Kong, 28 June 2013) Mr Li Ka-shing put forth a challenge to graduating class of the Shantou University (STU) today at Commencement: Who but you, with your skill sets and talent, can create a better tomorrow for our society?

Delivering his speech titled “The Pragmatic Dreamer” at the Commencement, Mr Li said even if the road is long and arduous, the loving care that the graduates give to society will prevail, and this is the most pragmatic way to address the issue of inequality.  “We must want to see things become better, not just say that things should be better.”

Mr Li shared a story dating back to his teenage years, and advised those fighting adversity today that they should channel their rage into a disciplined and purposeful state of mind, and a rigorous focus on solving problems at hand.

He also wondered whether past wisdom and perspectives still give youngsters the edge to overcome current difficulties they face in this era of accelerating pace of change.

He reckoned that the Government should not abdicate its responsibility for leading society to change.  “Government must invigorate the entrepreneurial spirit to create jobs with smart policies that are appropriate and effective for today and beyond.

“Government must invigorate the minds of its people by pouring resources behind education reforms to bolster capabilities.  Education is the best safeguard against the deepening divide of social inequality.”

Being nicknamed as “the richest man in China” gave Mr Li a most complex feeling.  He said his life is filled with challenges and it has not been an easy journey.  The constant demand for one to be wise, to be far-seeing and to be creative is certainly tiring.  “Yet throughout the years, I continue to stay positive, and try to serve society to the best of my ability amongst the sometimes conflicting roles and responsibilities as a human being, as a citizen who loves my country, and as a businessman.”

###

The following is the speech by Mr Li at the ceremony:

Speech by Mr. Li Ka-shing
Shantou University Commencement Ceremony 2013
June 28, 2013

The Pragmatic Dreamer

Council Chairman and members, Professor Xu Bing, Distinguished Guests, Faculty and Graduates,

Good morning and welcome. I am so delighted that we are all here to share the happiness of our 2,599 students graduating today.

I recently suffered acute cholecystitis and underwent a gallbladder removal surgery. Well, I am fully recovered and fit as a fiddle to soldier on.  True to form, I tried to be ‘productive’ during my few days of “sick leave”, with much time spent musing the relevancy of past wisdom and perspectives in this era of accelerating pace of change. Invaluable as they are, I wondered whether they still give our young the edge to overcome current difficulties they face.

I don’t think one should simply assume Mencius’ great wisdom that enduring long suffering in itself would be inspiring enough to build perseverance. Tomorrow is promised to no one. Each of us needs to be thoughtful on how to ride this big wave of progress and all it entails.

Nothing is impossible to a willing heart, but many things are often easier said than done.  We may not be blind or unaware to the suffering and misfortune of others, except in the classic novels, no prince would be willing to trade stations with the pauper. Is your spectrum of empathy so filled with “no service” zones that you cannot pick up the sighs and signals of helplessness?  Maybe you are one of those privileged skeptics, fixated on justifying ennui and indifference. Here I can give you a few handy examples -“injustice and inequality are the sad realities of life” or “sorry, wealth and poverty are all relative, I can’t be of help as I see myself also as a victim.” Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do. We must want to see things become better, not just say that things should be better.

The exacerbation of inequality could be “the perfect storm” of this generation. How we redress it will determine if the future could be a better tomorrow. It will require proactive effort and participation from both individuals and government.

We may differ in capabilities and moral bearings, but we share the same duty to probe and push for social progress, justice and prosperity, values that transcend inequalities. This is the best investment that pays out dividends of hope and social enrichment.

Government must invigorate the entrepreneurial spirit to create jobs with smart policies that are appropriate and effective for today and beyond.

Government must invigorate the minds of its people by pouring resources behind education reforms to bolster capabilities. Education is the best safeguard against the deepening divide of social inequality.

For those fighting adversity today, don’t let anger blind and cloud your judgment.    

When I was in the hospital, I am grateful for the attentive care of the nurses and doctors who looked after me. The surgery itself was quite painless when compared against the pain that memories elicited.

This little finger bore my first scar, an imprint to the fury of despair. When I was 14, on a cold harsh winter day, I toiled all day cutting up piles of leather cords readying them for production the next day.  Alone on the balcony, I saw through the window “elders” clustering near the heater and savoring a lovely cup of hot tea. Distracted by a sudden rush of bitterness, forlornness and loneliness, I cut myself deep to the bone.  I can still see the blood turning from red to black, and remember the only thought on my mind then was not pain, but that I must not remain “the pitiful”.

I know that rage without reflection will only make you more vulnerable and weak, directional-less and heading nowhere.  I instead, will take that rage and channel it into a disciplined and purposeful state of mind, and a rigorous focus on solving my problems at hand.  Only those who face up to reality can overcome it; perseverance, diligence and judiciousness can turn quandary into opportunity and hope.

My dear students, for the past few decades, I have often been nicknamed as “the richest man in China”, it gives me a most complex feeling.  No doubt my life is filled with challenges and it has not been an easy journey. The constant demand for one to be wise, to be far-seeing and to be creative is certainly tiring, yet throughout the years, I continue to stay positive, and try to serve society to the best of my ability amongst the sometimes conflicting roles and responsibilities as a human being, as a citizen who loves my country, and as a businessman.

My dear students, with your skill sets and talent, your future should certainly be brighter than mine.  Who but you can create a better tomorrow for our society? If the way we feel, think and act are committed to all that is just and good, your commitment to care and participate will be the most pragmatic and real solution to address inequality.  On this long and arduous road of humanity, act now -- the solution is waiting round the bend!     

Thank you.

(Download)
Mr Li Ka-shing delivers a speech titled “The Pragmatic Dreamer” at the STU Commencement Ceremony.

(Download)
Mr Li Ka-shing thanks Professor Xu Bing,  renowned printmaking Chinese artist,  for attending today’s ceremony as guest of honour and keynote speaker.  Professor Xu has extensively contributed to contemporary arts, and has been awarded MacArthur Fellowships, nicknamed Genius Grant, in the United States, and was the first winner of the Artes Mundi Prize in the visual arts arena in the United Kingdom, and won the United States of America Print Arts lifetime achievement award.

(Download)
Mr Li Ka-shing congratulates a student for being conferred a doctoral degree.

(Download)
Today’s ceremony sees 2,599 graduates being conferred with under-graduate, master and doctoral degrees.

(Download)
Mr Li Ka-shing wishes students and faculty joining the  STU Antarctica Expedition Project 2014 every success.  The project will see the students and faculty travel to Antarctica to conduct scientific research, interact with the scientists on the expedition vessel, and visit the Chinese scientific research station “Great Wall Station”.

(Download)
Mr Li Ka-shing happily raises a Superman figurine in scrubs that he receives from students after officiating at the kick-off ceremony of the SUMU.

(Download)
An artist’s impression of the new Shantou University Medical College (SUMU).

(Download)
Mr Li Ka-shing takes a close look at the model of the SUMU, which will be built with a multi-disciplinary focus on the life sciences by integrating valuable resources of STU.  Covering a total floor area of 39,000 square metres, this RMB440 million-LKSF donated new SUMC building is inspired by the human brain stem and envisioned by Herzog de Meuron, designers of the famous “Bird Nest” in Beijing.

About the Li Ka Shing Foundation

The Li Ka Shing Foundation was established in 1980 by global entrepreneur and philanthropist Li Ka-shing. Mr Li considers the Foundation to be his "third son" and has pledged one-third of his assets to it. To date, the Foundation has granted over HK$13 billion (US$1.66 billion) in charitable donations, approximately 90 per cent in support of education reform initiatives and medical services in Greater China region.

The Foundation supports projects that promote social progress through expanding access to quality education and medical services and research, encouraging cultural diversity and community involvement.  For more information, please visit:  http://www.lksf.org .

For media enquiries, please contact:

Li Ka Shing Foundation
Jeremy Lau
Tel: (852) 2128 1207
Fax: (852) 2128 1766
Email: jeremy.lau@lksf.org