Press Releases
Related Topics
Press Releases

For speech, please click here.
For photos, please click here.

Sleepless in Hong Kong

(Shantou and Hong Kong, 27 June 2014) Mr Li Ka-shing, Honorary Chairman of the Shantou University (STU) Council, addressed STU graduates at today’s commencement ceremony in a speech titled “Sleepless in Hong Kong”.  Before the graduating class of 2014, he revealed that widening inequality, intensifying resource scarcity and waning trust are three of the reasons behind his sleeplessness.  He urged that though the future does not hold promises of perfection, the graduates’ “dedication and undertaking to be the custodian of the future is the best antidote for everyone’s insomnia.”

The Difference We Make

“The Difference We Make” encompasses not only this year’s commencement theme, but also many programmes implemented by the school this academic year.  Mr Li met with students involved in many of these programmes, which include various charity initiatives, the STU Antarctica expedition, MYSTUdio “technovation centre” and the ceremonial Bell of Truth.  In his speech, Mr Li emphasised the importance for the government to lead change and invest in education, stressing “I have always believed that failing to invest in education is tantamount to a crime against the future.”

Trust is Our National Treasure

“Widening inequality in wealth and opportunities, if left unaddressed, could fast become ‘the new normal’.”  But Mr Li believes that with new impetus to enable dynamic and flexible redistribution policies, the government can better foster an environment of growth and harmony.   Furthermore, Mr Li asserted that not only is trust the bedrock of an enlightened society, it is also our national treasure.

What promise will you make to the future?

On the day of commencement, students ring the ceremonial Bell of Truth to mark their first steps towards the next chapter.  Mr Li asked, “Today when you rang the Bell of Truth, what promise did you make to the future?”  He hopes that today’s graduates will exude positive energy and put value on individual and human dignity to better the community.  He encouraged, “The future of our imperfect world needs your commitment, needs your positivity, needs your compassion, needs your fortitude and needs your resolve.”

Keynote speaker Professor Liu Mingkang, Honorary Professor of Business School at The Chinese University of Hong Kong and former Chairman of the China Banking Regulatory Commission, echoed Shantou University’s motto in a speech titled “Giving Propels Success”.  He recalled undertaking a personal risk to help a client in the 80s and ultimately helping this small-scale flourmill save a lump sum of money through a then unpractised “currencies hedging service”.  He concluded that while “giving is not difficult, at times we may have to pay a price”, success is not only propelled by “diligence, capability and luck”, the “willingness to give is just as important.”

The following is the speech by Mr Li at the ceremony:

Professor Liu Mingkang, Distinguished Guests, Faculty and Graduates,

Another year! Another June!

It is always such a privilege to be here. Amidst your electrifying enthusiasm and excitement—I just can’t help feeling like a graduate myself. It is most wonderful to see all of you zooming past this milestone and running on towards the future. Congratulations.  Well done.

Recently, alarmed by the fervent discussions on the web about my sleeplessness, my friends recommended a ton of effective cures for insomnia. I am very touched by their thoughtfulness and am invigorated by the interests on what keeps me awake half of the night.

I am 85 years old going on 86. I feel blessed to have seen more in life than I could remember, and happy to remember more than I have seen; so why am I sleepless in Hong Kong?

I fear that widening inequality in wealth and opportunities, if left unaddressed could fast become ‘the new normal’. Inequality is perhaps inevitable as some are simply better able than others to capture the opportunities that globalisation and the knowledge economy affords.

I fear that intensifying resource scarcity will pose challenges of immense proportions to our future.

We need to act now to turn challenges into opportunities. Technology is no panacea, but we need technological and innovative interventions to increase our options.

Our government must introduce new impetus to enable dynamic and flexible redistribution policies that can strike a fine balance between the need to promote equity and economic objectives.

The howl of rage from polarisation and the crippling cost of welfare dependence is a toxic cocktail commingled to stall growth and foster discontent. Government needs to lead change and galvanize its own to embrace innovation and inject a strong dose of liberating elixir into the education system. I have always believed that failing to invest in education is tantamount to a crime against the future.

What is most unsettling for me is that trust, the bedrock of an enlightened society, is crumbling before our eyes. If trust is no longer the reinforcing positive energy field, the consequences could be dire. Trust enables us to live in harmony, without which more and more people will lose faith in this system, breeding scepticism towards what is fair and just, doubting everything and believing all has turned sour and rancid.

Without a modicum of trust, society will downward spiral into a painful vicious cycle—trust is our national treasure!

Today when you rang the Bell of Truth, what promise did you make to the future? When dawn breaks, is today the tomorrow you worried about yesterday? Inside your vision of tomorrow, will you show respect for the most humble, put value on individual and human dignity and take action to better your community?

The future of our imperfect world needs your commitment, needs your positivity, needs your compassion, needs your fortitude and needs your resolve. Mencius said, “He who exerts his mind and effort to serve knows what it means to have a calling”. Your dedication and undertaking to be the custodian of the future is the best antidote for everyone’s insomnia.

Congratulations again. Live your life to its truest, in duty, in dignity and joy. Today, you are proud to be a part of Shantou University; tomorrow, Shantou University will be proud to be a part of you. Thank you so much.

###

(Download)
At the Shantou University Commencement Ceremony, Mr Li Ka-shing addresses graduates in a speech titled “Sleepless in Hong Kong”, advising the students that their commitment, positivity, compassion, fortitude and resolve are the keys to our future.

(Download)
At the Shantou University Commencement Ceremony, Mr Li Ka-shing addresses graduates in a speech titled “Sleepless in Hong Kong”, advising the students that their commitment, positivity, compassion, fortitude and resolve are the keys to our future.

(Download)
Mr Li Ka-shing and Mr Liu Mingkang, keynote speaker of the Commencement Ceremony, exchange thoughts on education.

(Download)
Sporting a Shantou jersey, Mr Li Ka-shing refreshes his basketball skills.

(Download)
Students at Shantou University’s Design School have the opportunity to design a robot for the Hakitzu coding game.  Mr Li Ka-shing applauds their creativity and integrative use of design and technology.

(Download)
Mr Li Ka-shing joins the members of the Student Council to ring the Bell of Truth.

About the Li Ka Shing Foundation

Established in 1980 by Mr Li Ka-shing, the Li Ka Shing Foundation (LKSF) has three strategic focuses: nurture a new culture of giving; support education reform initiatives; and advance medical research and services. Mr Li considers the Foundation to be his “third son” and has pledged one-third of his assets to it.  With initiatives spread over 19 countries, LKSF supports projects that promote social progress through expanding access to quality education and medical services and research, encouraging cultural diversity and community involvement. Since its inception, LKSF has granted over HK$15 billion, approximately 90% of which benefit projects in the Greater China region.

For more information, please visit: http://www.lksf.org.
Weibo: weibo.com/LKSfoundation
Twitter: www.twitter.com/lksf
Instagram: @lksfoundation
Youtube: www.youtube.com/lksfoundationhk

For inquiries, please contact:

Li Ka Shing Foundation
Mr Jeremy Lau
Tel: (852) 2128 1207
Fax: (852) 2128 1766
Email: jeremy.lau@lksf.org