Press Releases
Related Topics
Press Releases

Press Release - Stockholm 2001-05-14

Capital savings due to Hi3G and Europolitan Vodafones
common infrastructure company - 3G Infrastructure Services

3G Infrastructure Services AB will be the name of Hi3G and Europolitan Vodafone's equally owned joint venture company. The company will provide the two companies with a UMTS infrastructure covering up to 70 per cent of the Swedish population. This means that the number of masts and the associated costs will decrease by around 50 per cent for both companies. Both companies are open to let other licence holders join 3G Infrastructure Services AB.

"Our joint approach allows Hi3G to maximise cost savings and pass the benefit on to our customers. We know that this co-operation will be widely recognised both here in Sweden and internationally due to the advantages it brings to consumers", said Chris Bannister, CEO of Hi3G.

"This joint venture will enable us to cut our investment costs and build a high quality 3G infrastructure which will benefit Europolitan Vodafone's customers", said Jon Risfelt, CEO of Europolitan Vodafone.

3G Infrastructure Services AB is one of the first joint companies to have been set up by two UMTS licence holders to co-operate on building and operating jointly owned UMTS infrastructure.

The company will build a high quality UMTS infrastructure in Sweden and secure capacity for the two partners and their customers. Trough the co-operation the number of masts decreases, which limits the effect on the environment and has an impact on the application processes for building permits. A Managing Director has been appointed and will be announced later. The company headquarters will be located in the Stockholm area. Operations will be concentrated on the areas outside Sweden's three major cities, Stockholm, Gteborg and Malm.

The agreement - subject to approval from appropriate authorities - is fully in line with the regulations set up by The Swedish National Post and Telecom Agency, PTS, and the licence conditions issued to Europolitan Vodafone and Hi3G.

The co-operation only concerns UMTS infrastructure. The companies will retain their operating independence including designing and delivering customer care, marketing and pricing of services and content. Europolitan Vodafone and Hi3G are open to invite other UMTS licence holders to take part in the building of its UMTS infrastructure.

For further information:
Niclas Lilja, Director Communications, Hi3G
Telephone: +46 708 45 70 90, e-mail: [email protected]

Bo Johannisson, Director Strategic business development, Europolitan Vodafone
Telephone: +46 708 33 18 04, e-mail: [email protected]

Johan Holmgren, Director Public Relations, Europolitan Vodafone
Telephone: +46 708 33 14 00, e-mail: [email protected]

Hi3G is aiming to become Sweden's leading 3G-operator with innovative services and a high quality network. Our strength lies in the fact that we are a pure 3G company, with no baggage from old technologies such as GSM. Hi3G is a holder of a Swedish national UMTS-licence and is open for commercial co-operation. We expand rapidly supported by our owners, Hutchison Whampoa Ltd. (60%) and Investor AB (40%), who have a strong commitment and a solid network and industry track record worldwide. Through the Hutchison Group we are cooperating with holders of 3G-licences in Australia, Austria, Italy, and the UK. Hi3G will provide Sweden with full population coverage by the end of 2003.

Please stay in touch and visit our site at

Europolitan Vodafone is a mobile operator with a licence to build a 3G mobile telecoms network. Our strength lies in our focus on developing international services, customer service and quality. Europolitan Vodafone employs some 1,400 people. Europolitan Vodafone is listed on the O-list of the OM Stock Exchange's Attract 40 list through Europolitan Holdings AB. The company's principal owner is Vodafone, with 71 per cent of Europolitan Holdings. The remaining 29 per cent is owned by private shareholders, investment companies and pension funds. The Vodafone group is represented on 5 continents and has around 80 million customers (proportionate customers). For more information, please visit and

Hi3G Access AB
Niclas Lilja
Director Communications
Box 1360
111 83 Stockholm

Visiting address:sthammarsgatan 68, IV
Mobile phone:+46 70 845 70 90
Fixed Line:+46 8 5056 70 90
Fax:+46 8 5056 72 00