Press Releases
Related Topics
Press Releases

Press Release - Stockholm 2002-06-05

Hi3G and Vodafone sign national roaming agreement framework

Hi3G and Vodafone signed a letter of intent today to conclude negotiations concerning access to Vodafone's GSM network in Sweden, otherwise known as 'national roaming'. National roaming will allow Hi3G's customers to use Vodafone's GSM network in areas where Hi3G lacks coverage.

"We have succeeded in reaching this general agreement on our own without the involvement of a third party, and this amply illustrates our joint willingness to solve some of the major issues faced by our industry," says Chris Bannister, Managing Director of Hi3G.

"We have agreed on the overall plan for the agreement," says Jon Risfelt, Vodafone's President and CEO in Sweden. "I am delighted that we have been able to reach this agreement through commercial negotiations."

Hi3G and Vodafone will commence negotiations as soon as possible. Both parties have agreed that a final version of the agreement should be ready no later than this summer.

For more information, please contact:
Niclas Lilja, Director Communications, Hi3G
Tel: +46 733 55 70 90, e-mail: [email protected]
Jon Risfelt, President and CEO, Vodafone
Tel: +46 708 33 14 00, e-mail: [email protected]

Hi3G's ambition is to become the leader in the Scandinavian 3G market. The company has Swedish and Danish 3G licences and will offer attractive and innovative mobile multimedia services. Being a pure 3G company with global reach makes Hi3G focused and strong. The company is owned by Hutchison Whampoa (60%) and Investor AB (40%), who both have solid networks and industry track records worldwide. Hi3G is building its customer offering together with other Hutchison Whampoa companies that hold 3G licences in Australia, Austria, Hong Kong, Israel, Italy, and the United Kingdom. Please stay in touch and visit

Vodafone is the world's largest mobile network and is represented in 28 countries on 5 continents. It has more than 200 million mobile telecoms users. Our services enhance the efficiency of companies' operations and make it simpler and more fun for people to communicate. Vodafone is represented in Sweden by Europolitan Holdings AB and its subsidiaries, Vodafone Sverige AB and Vodafone Stores AB. Europolitan Holdings AB is listed on Attract 40 on the Stockholm Stock Exchange's O list. The majority shareholder is Vodafone Group Plc, which owns 71 per cent of the shares, while private shareholders, investment companies and pension funds own the remaining 29 per cent. Read more at and Details of the agreement have not been publicized.